Monday, April 21, 2008

Fr. James Martin, S.J. , "I Am Liberal"

The Jewish People, Joseph Ratzinger and Me
By Father James Martin
An excerpt.
Benedict’s trip has been a surprise for me. To be honest, I was one of those (many) liberal Catholics who was disappointed by his election. (At the time, I told someone that when Pope Benedict XVI first stepped onto the Vatican balcony after his election, I felt like jumping off of one!)
In his previous role as prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, charged with serving as the church’s theological watchdog, it was his job to ensure doctrinal purity, especially among theologians.
During his many years in that position, he disciplined many good scholars and writers, even some of my friends, who were doing their best to advance Catholic theology.
Link to the full editorial (here)
Hat Tip to Karen Hall at Some Wear Clerics for some more reflection go (here)

1 comment:

Order Pills Antibacterial said...

Great website, looks very clean and organized. Keep up the good work!